Lead is a highly toxic metal that was used for many years in products found in and around homes. Lead may cause a range of health effects from behavioral problems and learning disabilities, to seizures and death. Children 6 years-old and under are at most risk because lead affects young bodies during stages of rapid growth.

Research by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suggests that the primary sources of lead exposure for most children are:

  • Deteriorating lead-based paint
  • Lead contaminated dust
  • Lead contaminated residential soil
Emergencies

Call your medical provider or Oregon Poison Control, (800) 222-1222 

Central Oregon Contact

Deschutes County Health Services Department, (541) 322-7418

General Information

Childhood and Adult Lead Poisoning Surveillance Programs, (503) 731-4025
Are your children at risk? Call the LEADLINE, (800) 368-5060