If you are a disabled veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran, you may be entitled to the Veteran's Property Tax Exemption offered by the State of Oregon. To be eligible you must be either:

  • an honorably discharged, disabled veteran with a 40% disability documented with the Department of Veterans Affairs, or a 40% disability documented through a private physician and meet an income restriction
  • the surviving spouse, remaining unmarried, of an honorably discharged veteran.

The applicant (or the applicant's spouse) must own, and the applicant must live on, the property.

You may apply for the Veteran's exemption with the Deschutes County Assessor's office after January 1 and before April 1 to be approved for the following tax year.

For more information about this and other exemption programs established by the Oregon Legislature please visit the Oregon Department of Revenue website.  See the Web Links section below.